Here are some helpful tips to prevent mold from growing in your unit!
- Turn on your heater during the cold season to dry out the interior
- Turn on any bathroom fan during and after showering
- Open up windows often to air out the unit to reduce humidity
- Use fans to circulate the air, especially around closets
- Use a dehumidifier if there is still too much humidity
- Do not overpack closets or belongings against the walls.
Fun Fact! Mold and mildew spores are present in any environment! It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mildew (especially in the wonderfully rainy Humboldt.) Don’t worry, we have some tips for keeping mold at bay in your home.
The key to mold prevention is moisture control. Reducing moisture and proper housekeeping will significantly reduce the chance of mold and mold growth. It is important to note that mold and moisture control is ultimately up to you to control.
Here are the basics to mitigate mold: (detailed instructions are in your rental contract)
- Clean! Keep the property free of dirt, debris, and moisture that can harbor mold;
- Clean mold or mildew immediately if it appears in toilets, bathtubs, showers, walls, or anywhere inside the property. Products are available in grocery or home stores, but the following is recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): Remove mold with commercial cleaning products or weak bleach solutions of one cup bleach to one-gallon water. Wear gloves during cleanup and take care not to spread the mold. If necessary, wear a facemask during cleaning.
- Clean and dry any visible moisture on windows, walls, and other surfaces, including personal property as quickly as possible;
- Report! Immediately report to the landlord any water leaks such as pipes leaking or bursting, bathtub or toilet overflows, leaks from or malfunctioning of water heater, or rainwater entering the unit from the roof, windows, or siding. immediately notify Landlord of any water intrusion, including but not limited to, roof or plumbing leaks, drips, or “sweating pipes.” There is no way we know this happened unless you tell us to put in a maintenance request either through your online portal or give us a text, call, or email!
- Ventilate! Ventilate and dehumidify the unit by opening windows as often as possible, using exhaust fans while cooking, or showering, & for a while afterward. If there is still moisture, please wipe down walls or windows after showering, or when you detect moisture. It also helps to use fans to circulate the air, especially around closets. Please let us know as soon as possible of any inoperative exhaust fans – we want them fixed as badly as you do. (Note: Mold can grow on damp surfaces within 24 to 48 hours.)
- Heat! You may be thinking you are cutting costs by not using your heater, but you are putting yourself at risk of mold! You must heat your hole to mitigate moisture, keep your house temperature between 50-75 degrees. Please let us know as soon as you can if there are any problems at all with your heater – we see this as an emergency and want to take care of it promptly.
- Space! Do not overpack closets or belongings against the walls. You need to keep space between furniture & walls at all times, even if you are heating & airing our properly, moisture can still build up if there is no air or heat getting back there.
- Mindful! Be mindful to cover fish tanks and do not bring an extreme number of houseplants into the property to keep down excessive moisture.
If you are minding all of the rules set forth in your rental agreement regarding mold and somehow there is still mold – immediately notify us of any significant mold growth on surfaces in the premises! Simply submit a maintenance request through your Resident portal, email us at Support@ RealPM.com or give us a call or text at 707-444-3835. We will guide you through treating the problem or inspect to find out what the root of the issue may be. We want to help you live in a happy, healthy home.